Tuesday, February 15, 2011

French Movie: Amélie

Do you know how much I love this movie? Cuz I really, really, love this movie. In fact,  it is the only movie that I have ever bought in DVD form - which I think is pretty impressive in this age of pirated movies galore, or if you're more into following the rules, renting them from a day from Redbox or getting it from Netflix. I just needed to have that DVD boxset! It is THAT good.

Also, it's set in Paris, in the Montmartre area! We could even have lunch/dinner at the diner where she works, which actually existed before the movie! Although I've heard it's gotten popular and expensive since then.

french movie poster

Amélie, or the more wordy original French title Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain) is a French movie directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. The story revolves around a young woman named Amélie, played by the luminous Audrey Tautou. Amélie is a bit of an eccentric due to her isolated upbringing and has a very vivid imagination. The movie's impetus comes from her decision to improve the lives of those around her, which she does in secretive, complex, and often hilarious ways. And of course, there's a romantic interest named Nino, who is another eccentric (and works at a sex store). Their courtship is ... interesting, to say the least. Man, I don't want to give up too much information! You just have to see it for yourself.

In the end, Amélie has to come to terms with her isolation and take the chance to reach out for true love. And they live happily ever after! So I like to think.


But you really have to watch the movie to truly appreciate just how charming and well-done it is. Of course, it wouldn't be half as good without the terrific soundtrack composed by Yann Tiersen, which just sounds French. I couldn't even tell you some of the instruments he uses, maybe accordion, etc? that gives it such a French feel, but I just love listening to the soundtrack over. And over. And over. Again. And the music ranges from piano to orchestral to scratchy voice singing, with just as wide an emotional range. Ahh... loving it. Listen to it and feel Paris around you!

Amélie - La Valse d'Amélie - the main theme of the movie... and lovely.


Amélie - Comptine D'un Autre Ete - L'Apres Midi - gorgeous piano piece. This is my favorite song from the soundtrack, and I actually learned to play it at one point.

Amélie - L'Autre Valse D'Amélie



Amélie - A Quai - makes me think of riding through the streets of Paris on a bike =D

No comments:

Post a Comment